Ontario Now Welcoming Employer Job Offer Stream Applications Under OINP
On 20th of July, the Ontario government announced that applications for the Employer Job Offer Stream that includes categories: Foreign Worker and International Students, will now be accepted.
The OINP (Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program) will monitor the intake of applications keeping in consideration the limits of Ontario’s federal nomination allocation, which for 2017, is 6,000. The Employer Job Offer Stream for Foreign Worker and International Students is time sensitive and hence, applications must be submitted via the OINP e-filing portal within 21 days of registration of a profile.
The applications under the mentioned streams will be accepted only for a limited time period. Applicants will be informed via an update on the OINP page when it is no longer accepting applications to these streams.
Minimum Requirements for Application to International Students Category with Job Offer Stream
International students who have an approved job offer from a Canadian employer are eligible for application under this stream if they have:
- Graduated from, or have met the criteria for a full-time degree or diploma program at an eligible and publicly-funded Canadian college or university;
- The program of study must have been at least two years in length, OR a one-year post-graduation certificate program, which requires a previous degree or diploma.
- The previous degree or diploma may have been obtained from outside Canada.
- Completed at least half their study in Canada.
- Acquired an approved permanent, full-time job offer in a skilled occupation (NOC levels 0, A, or B); and
- The job offer meets the entry-level wage terms in Ontario for that occupation.
- Note: The job need not be in the same field as that for which the degree or diploma is obtained.
- Applied within two years of the date on which they received their Canadian degree or diploma.
Minimum Requirements for Application to Foreign Worker Category with Job Offer Stream
Requirements for Applicants
In order to be eligible as a foreign worker under the OINP General Category, applicants must:
- Have at least two years (24 months) of paid and verifiable work experience, either in Canada or abroad, within the previous five years in their intended occupation.
- Fulfill the appropriate registration criteria in Ontario, if applying for a position in a regulated occupation in the province.
- Have a permanent, full-time job offer in a skilled occupation (NOC levels 0, A, or B) from the employer who is submitting an application as well; and,
- Be residing abroad OR residing, working in, or visiting Canada on a valid work permit, study permit or visitor record
Requirements for Employers
In order to be eligible under this immigration category, an Ontario employer must:
- Have been in active business for at least three years;
- Have business premises in Ontario where the prospective nominee shall work;
- Be in compliance with all provincial labour laws, including, but not limited to, employment standards, health and safety, and labour relations legislation;
For employers established inside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):
- Have a minimum gross revenue for the most recent fiscal year of $ 1,000,000, and,
- Have at least five permanent, full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents at the location where the candidate is to work.
For employers located outside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):
- Have a minimum gross revenue for the most recent fiscal year of $ 500,000, and,
- Have at least three permanent, full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents at the location where the candidate is to work.
The OINP states that employers shall have to demonstrate sufficient proof of recruitment efforts if the applicant is living abroad, or is visiting Canada, or is working in a province or territory, other than Ontario.
Requirements for Positions
The job position offered must meet the following requirements:
- The position must match the description of a “skilled occupation” defined by the government as NOC level 0, A, or B;
- The job offered must be for a permanent; full-time position (minimum 1,560 hours of paid employment in a 12-month period);
- The offer must meet with the prevailing wage rates for that occupation and region in Ontario;
- The offer must not affect the settlement of any labour dispute, or the employment of any person involved in such a dispute;
- The offer must not adversely affect employment or training opportunities for Canadian citizens, or Permanent Residents in Ontario; and
- The position itself must be necessary for the company’s functioning.